Allan Isfan is a co-founder of FaveQuest, a young start-up. This blog covers start-up topics.

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Google

living inside of Facebook

In my last posting, I indicated that we had launched our application on Facebook on September 30th. I held a small launch party at my house with friends and colleagues to show them what we have been up to. There was lots of interest, many questions and cool ideas ... a night I will remember. The ap was launched for friends and family and we have been getting feedback that is getting folded in gradually with a major update coming out very soon, including a name change. We will eventually be posting into the FB directory in the near future.

So what are we up to? Might as well tell you since it is out there.

We are building an advanced media personalization engine with fun social functions. What the hell does that mean? It means that we get to know you as best we can, with your permission and input, and go out and find relevant content we think you will like from dozens of sources and millions of videos. We organize the videos in channels and wicked themed worlds (a couple of releases away) and make it very easy and fun to share with like minded people. You get great content without having to hunt for it.

Facebook opening up to third party developers was a godsend. Imagine the following examples. I'm into sports cars (at least dreaming about them) so I had that in my FB profile. Our ap found lots of great videos from a fantastic show called Top Gear that I had never heard of. I also got to check out an electric car that beat the pants off a Porsche and a Ferrari. I'm also from Romania and it discovered a freedom anthem that I thought was great ... something I definitely would share with Romanian friends and family ... a good excuse to reconnect with my culture. There is much more to it than that of course but that is the essence ... we get to know you and drop great relevant content from all over the web on your lap.

I can't divulge everything since we are in the middle of developing some pretty cool proprietary things, including something we call "the blender", but at least now you know generally what we are up to. If you want access to the application, let me know.

I am writing this from a hotel room in Toronto which I have been visiting on a nearly weekly basis. Next week is insane. On Monday, I'm in L.A. speaking on a panel, Tuesday I head to San Francisco hopefully for some VC meetings but ultimately to attend the NewTeeVee conference started by Om Malik on the 14th. I fly back to Ottawa on the 15th only to zip to Toronto on Friday for a major meeting with a big media company. Saturday is my youngest daughter's birthday and Saturday night I breathe and have a pint. Yikes!

If you are going to be at the NewTeeVee conference, please let me know. If you have a million dollars burning a hole in your pocket, also let me know. I have included a video below to inspire you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home